Geezer
Danielle's Imaginary Boyfriend

Default European collider begins its subatomic exploration

European collider begins its subatomic exploration
By Dennis Overbye

New York Times

Posted: 03/30/2010 07:10:23 AM PDT
Updated: 03/30/2010 08:58:51 PM PDT

After 16 years and $10 billion, there was joy in the meadows and tunnels of the Swiss-French countryside Tuesday: The world's biggest physics machine, the Large Hadron Collider, finally began to smash subatomic particles together.

After two false starts due to electrical failures, protons whipped to more than 99 percent of the speed of light and to record-high energy levels of 3.5 trillion electron volts apiece raced around a 17-mile underground magnetic track outside Geneva. They crashed together inside apartment-building-sized detectors designed to capture every evanescent flash and fragment from microscopic fireballs thought to hold insights into the beginning of the universe.

The soundless blooming of proton explosions was accompanied by the hoots and applause of scientists at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, which built the collider. Among their top goals are finding the identity of the dark matter that shapes the visible cosmos and the strange particle known as the Higgs boson, which is thought to imbue other particles with mass.

Rolf-Dieter Heuer, director general of CERN, said Tuesday from Japan that the new collider "opens a new window of discovery and it brings, with patience, new knowledge of the universe and the microcosm."
Old 03-31-2010, 09:42 PM   #51
sarah
Danielle Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoree View Post
Congratulations for that science step forward!
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bone Thomas View Post
Congratulations to sarah and her team! Champagne for everyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mart View Post
Congratulations Sarah and to your team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
congrats Sarah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
European collider begins its subatomic exploration
By Dennis Overbye

New York Times

Thank you, thank you to all of you!!
No need to tell you we are busy...
big Kisses

With love from Sarah

Last edited by sarah; 03-31-2010 at 09:56 PM.
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #52
sarah
Danielle Junkie

Here is a nice presentation of the CERN's supercollider by Physicist Brian Cox (a very nice person) :

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/b...rcollider.html

(I hope it’s not inappropriate to place this link in this thread)

With love from Sarah
Old 04-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #53
mart
Danielle's Only True Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
Here is a nice presentation of the CERN's supercollider by Physicist Brian Cox (a very nice person) :

With love from Sarah
Good video Sarah, finally managed to watch it, as it wouldn't load before.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #54
tigger
Danielle's Future Ex-Husband

Wow Sarah that was fasinating! way over my head but fasinating!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #55
Geezer

Ha! Ha! Sarah, you are an Attractive Female on a mostly male oriented forum. I think you can say and post just about anything you desire and no one will complain.

Quote:

With love from Sarah
Old 04-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #56
Anoree

Quote:
Ha! Ha! Sarah, you are an Attractive Female on a mostly male oriented forum. I think you can say and post just about anything you desire and no one will complain.
Huh? Sarah's video link is about her job - perfectly within the topic of this thread.
If Sarah gave a reason to complain, we would say something. (Preferably as PM.) So far, everything is good.
(We try to do our job free of preferential treatment.)
Anoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #57
sarah
Danielle Junkie

Quote:
Ha! Ha! Sarah, you are an Attractive Female
Thank you dear Geezer.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #58
mart

Quote:
Just what i was thinking Geezer, but didn't have the courage to say so.
and i would say Sarah's a very attractive lady.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #59
sarah
Danielle Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart View Post
Sarah's a very attractive lady.
Thank you dear Mart, I hope to see you soon in our poetry group. I'm sure you have beautiful words to share with us (better than my little happy birthday to you...)
Old 04-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #60
mart

Quote:
Thank you dear Mart, I hope to see you soon in our poetry group. I'm sure you have beautiful words to share with us (better than my little happy birthday to you...)
Sarah that Birthday poem to me is beautiful.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:32 PM   #61
tigger
Danielle's Future Ex-Husband

Quote:
As Marts face turns red!
Old 04-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #62
mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger View Post
As Marts face turns red!
Wasn't red for long!.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:06 AM   #63
AlexanderLL
Danielle Junkie

Self employed. I play poker professionally. I love being able to control my work schedule. I do it mostly online.
AlexanderLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:13 AM   #64
Satir
Dreaming of Danielle

How do you win all the time?
Old 06-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #65
AlexanderLL
Danielle Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satir View Post
How do you win all the time?
I've been doing it for more than 2 years. I've study the game inside and out. Players have weaknesses and tendencies, and I use my skills to exploit them. These weaknesses and tendencies could be that they call too much or bluff too much.

Don't get me wrong. There are days where I lose a lot of money, and want to jump off of a building. In the long run, I play better than my opponents, and that is how the money is made. I love being my own boss. The money is better than my last job at Starbucks.
AlexanderLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #66
zoomlens
Danielle Fan

I'm a real estate broker.
zoomlens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:33 AM   #67
RonTheLogician
In Love with Danielle

Smile Kiddie particle physics

Quote:
I (I should say we) try to find little Higgs boson in this mess. This one is a simulation... but in real life, if I may say, to find this naughty little tricky thing is not a cup of tea !

Hi sarah,

I NEVER expected to happen upon someone like you on this site... or anywhere else for the rest of my life, given how exotic your work is!

Encountering you exhumes ancient childhood memories and dreams. A half-century ago, I was a small boy attending the New York World's Fair with my parents. In the fair's Hall of Science pavilion, I picked up three booklets in the Understanding The Atom series, intended for the education of the general public, and published by a US federal agency then called the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC). I found them fascinating and would write away for many more of these wonderful free booklets in the next few years to come! I would even dream about becoming an elementary particle physicist when I grew up - until the huge cutbacks in US federal R&D that came at the end of the 1960's persuaded me that I would never be smart enough to make such an outlandish dream come true.

I last thought about these booklets DECADES ago - even if it's not impossible they are packed away in an old box still in my possession. Today I looked for them online - and guess what? The US Department of Energy has just this year published copies of them online here!

My favorite booklet, whose nearly-torn-away cover testified to my repeated handling of it, was Microstructure of Matter, which described the elementary particles which your guys study at CERN, although it reflected our more limited understanding of those times - before the Standard Model reached maturity. Later, as a university undergraduate, I would never study particle physics, and as simple as this booklet was, it nonetheless provided me with the knowledge I needed to correctly answer two questions regarding this discipline which appeared in the Physics Graduate Record Exam (GRE) I took circa 1975!

But back in my childhood days, I would dream about actually doing experimental particle physics and so became interested in the construction of particle accelerators. For this, the aforementioned series provided the volume titled Accelerators. My parents were struggling immigrants with primary school educations, and there was nothing like the World Wide Web to which to turn, so the exotic specialty information provided by such a booklet in those days was a miraculous treasure to a boy like me! Because I had the good fortune to live in a major US city, I eventually could borrow Livingston and Blewett's Particle Accelerators (McGraw-Hill, 1962), too. But as I didn't even study single-variable calculus until my last year of secondary school, the book's routine use of Maxwell's equations made it rather inaccessible to me.

Yet I dreamt about building first, a Van de Graaf machine, and later, a cyclotron. Alas, my family was far too poor (and troubled!) for me to make brave ambitions like that really come true before I left home for university and went on to study other areas of science and technology. (Yet, oddly enough, as a condensed matter physicist, I would land up effectively leveraging cyclotron resonance via inelastic light scattering!)

However, since one needs all sorts of power supplies to build such machines, and an oscillator to excite the dees of the cyclotron, I was drawn into electronics, in which I actually made substantial progress. In those days, television sets not only used a vacuum tube for a display, but also exploited vacuum tubes as active circuit elements. I would salvage discarded TV sets from the trash, and desolder and test the components therein, to stock my supply larder! My father had given me a soldering iron when I turned eight, and I am proud to say I only injured myself with molten solder on my hand once - such a lesson is always memorable!

Curiously, the AEC series also included a volume titled Computers, which introduced me to machine computation, then an exotic branch of electronics. That field proved of more practical value to me, and I landed up creating a paper design which functionally cloned a small contemporary computer, which I would enter into a national "science" contest to during my last year of secondary school.

In closing, for the benefit of others reading here, I'd like to mention that old-fashioned particle track imaging devices, which produced images such as the one you posted above, are described in the Microstructure of Matter booklet, and the storage ring device which today keeps you so busy was already an active area of work a half-century ago, and is described on pages 47 and 48 of the Accelerators booklet!

Last edited by RonTheLogician; 05-11-2014 at 06:55 AM. Reason: add graphic
RonTheLogician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #68
TheDoctor

Substitute mom
Mini-scale Dairy Man
Alledged Housekeeper

PLEASE KILL ME
FANTASTIC!
TheDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote