FTV Girls Danielle Forum  

Go Back   FTV Girls Danielle Forum > General Discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2009, 12:04 AM   #1
geolarson2
Danielle's Imaginary Boyfriend

Default I admit it--I'm a fool.

Okay, so I'll just go right out there and say that I am a fool, sometimes . The past couple days have been a bit trying for me. Too much to do, too few hours to do it all, and not enough energy to get it done to begin with. Yesterday, I got mixed up a bit--I took my meds in the morning, then forgot I'd taken them and wound up taking them a 2d time. I didn't go to bed at a decent hour last night (its was still before midnight at least), but had to get up early this morning. I wound up waking a couple hours before I needed to, but once I'm up, I'm up. Since I wound up taking my meds twice yesterday (thankfully nearly 12 hours apart), I delayed taking them today. I also made the mistake of not taking care of eating properly. This is where I mention I'm diabetic and really should know better. I've been diabetic for nearly 9 years now (at least that's when I was diagnosed--chances are I was undiagnosed for a year or 2 before), so what & when I eat really count. But I didn't accomplish everything I needed to yesterday, so there was spill over to today. I grew up around ranches, cornfields & sugar beet co-ops on the one hand, and wineries & dairy farms on the other, so I got used to hearing about "work before play" from my friends, and its something I took to heart. Long story short, I did too much without monitoring my blood sugar, let it get so low (60s), had taken too much of my medication yesterday and so on my way walking home from my last task I started to get real dizzy and lightheaded, so I turned right around, went to the grocery store and discovered that Izze soda is fantastic (and no corn syrup!)! So, since I know there's at least 1 more diabetic on the forum here, who I think was only recently diagnosed, I figured I'd put this recent experience from someone whose had to deal with lancets, test strips, A1C numbers and so on for a while, and still f'd up up here as something of a cautionary tale. Now to go prick my finger again and see where we are ...
geolarson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:26 AM   #2
eastbill
Danielle's Biggest Fan

i too am a diabetic... diagnosed 9 months ago... been an adjustment. been able to keep it all pretty close.(barring xmas) i have my bad days by eating wrong things.. but overall i think i do ok. i have not had low issues, but i have gone down to 70, right before a meal. its a day to day struggle. so take care of yourself.
eastbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:29 AM   #3
dxhound2003
Dreaming of Danielle

Are you guys Type 1 or Type 2?

I'm Type 1 diagnosed 8 years ago and I have to do 2 insulin injections every day. Bit of a nuisance checking blood sugar levels and having to follow a sensible diet but I find it easy enough to cope. Actually having to follow a sensible diet is a good thing and if non diabetics did the same we would all be healthier.
dxhound2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:28 AM   #4
geolarson2

I'm type 2, so a little soda or juice (I prefer juice normally) and I'm a quick recovery. My uncle on the other hand was type 1 since childhood. It was just a stupid mistake, one that might not have happened if I'd remembered to take my meds properly yesterday, so I didn't throw myself off with them today, and which if I'd just simply slowed down a little bit and listened to what my body was telling me almost certainly wouldn't have happened. Most of the time I'm able to keep my blood sugar between 115 & 135. For that matter, I was able to keep it under control without meds until just 4 or so years ago. I actually find the discipline & simple rules somewhat refreshing--with them, I'm in control of the disease, not the other way around (a little self-control, a fair bit of moderation go a long way). Take care, of yourselves.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:16 AM   #5
Geezer

I found out I'm a Type 2 a year ago. I would LOVE to see numbers below 100! Instead, I was averaging about 165. Recently, I started taking Metformin and, now, my average is about 145. Slowly, but surely, the med is kicking in. I might need something a little stronger to reach the desired 100, though.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
eastbill
Danielle's Biggest Fan

i am type two. i take Metfomin too. my ave is in the 150 after meals 100 before meals
eastbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
geolarson2

Metformin's what I'm on as well. I was on Avandia, too, until about a year ago (my PCP looked at my A1C and decided it was overkill I think). Its rare that my blood sugar goes below 100, and equally rare that it gets over 180 after eating--I divy up my meals into little snacks, mostly cereals, throughout the day, drink a lot of water after noon (black, white or green tea before), and sometimes have peppermint tea later in the afternoon. One of the things I botched up, and which probably contributed to my being off yesterday was that normally I'd take my thyroid med in the morning, but I didn't, so in addition to taking too much Metformin the day before (I usually take 1 in the AM, 1 in the PM, but because I wound up double-dosing, then inadvertently took a 3rd pill before bed with my other night-time meds), my metabolism was almost certainly off--a comedy of errors that had I just slowed things down, stuck to my routine and not gotten caught up with "gotta get A, B & C done now now NOW"--I'd probably not have wound up the way I did. But it could have been worse, too, and the fix was quick and simple--get a little sugar into my system as quick as possible so that the excess insulin in my system could go after it. Live and learn. Now if I can just lose some of this water weight I put on!