FTV Girls Danielle Forum  

Go Back   FTV Girls Danielle Forum > General Discussions

Old 04-17-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
geolarson2
Danielle's Imaginary Boyfriend

Default Favorite Movies

I can't recall a thread for this anywhere, so I figured a place where we could talk about our favourite classic movies, movies we're looking forward to seeing, kids movies that made an impression on us could be fun.

To kick it off, I'm looking forward to the new Star Trek movie. The last movie I actually saw at the theatre was Revenge of the Sith. Over the past weekend, family gathered at my brother's, including his bro-in-law, who reported that he'd heard from someone he knows who was at that "special" showing of ST: Wrath of Khan that what actually happened was a private screening, hosted by Len Nimoy, of the new movie. The verdict was something like Holy Spit, but I might be misquoting him there. Granted that's 3rd hand info, but still its hopeful.

Now, for classic movies, classic as in black & white and classic as in modern classic, I just watched V for Vendetta again, and still love that movie. I get a kick out of John Hurt playing Big Brother the Chancellor in that movie, while he played the anti-Big Brother in 1984 back a couple decades ago. I also re-watched Citizen Kain again, and still love it. I think it does deserve to be in the top 10 films, but I'm not 100% convinced about being number 1, at least in part because that minimizes anything that came after.

Last edited by geolarson2; 04-17-2009 at 10:39 PM.
geolarson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
FTVfanatic
Danielle's Biggest Fan

Favorite movies? That's easy. There are many, but for a starter:

Wall Street (1987). Charlie Sheen's Buddy Fox is very good in this movie, and so is Michael Douglas as Mr. Greed aka Mr. Gekko. The third favorite character in this movie is Lou Mannheim, played by Hal Holbrook. I just love his cynical comments.

Another?

Dealers (1989). Plain and simply a very fine (and underrated) movie of the 80's about a London, UK based broker/dealer Daniel Pascoe (Paul McGann) at the trading desk of Whitney Paine investment bank. His performance is great.

By the way, I loved "V for Vandetta" also very much. I have seen it only twice, though.
FTVfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
captnjack

Blood Simply an early Cohen brothers movie has a great plot and despite the title it really isn't very bloody at all.

The Unforgiven directed by Clint Eastwood with Gene Hackman. I like the line in it "deserveres ain't got nothing to do with it"
Old 05-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
geolarson2

Love the Coens. Also get a big kick outta Kevin Smith & Wes Anderson films.
geolarson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
mart
Danielle's Only True Love

One of my favourites is the violent Martin Scorsese's "Good Fellas" with Robert De Nero, Ray Liotta, and my favourite Joe Pesci and if your thinking of watching it sometime. It is quite a violent film about Henry Hill and his friends working their way up through the mob hierarchy. They do just about anything to get to the top and if anyone gets in their way. They just violently bump them off with graphic scenes of violence. Not for the screamish.

Last edited by mart; 05-05-2009 at 06:21 PM.
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
robotchicken
Just Visiting

The Fountain - Simply put, the most beautiful film ever made. "Death Is The Road To Awe", in the context the film means it, is also what I believe. That the afterlife is real and unites us with the universe in a state of bliss.

Phoebe In Wonderland - Phoebe has Tourette's Syndrome and OCD. I have stuttering, anxiety, and maybe OCD. I relate to her character and the film as a whole. The writing, directing, acting, it's all incredible. It's a film that simultaneously breaks my heart and gives it strength.

Those are my two all time favourites.
robotchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:53 AM   #7
wabbit
Danielle Junkie

Default My fave movies

I have many I like, but Dumb & Dumber for sheer idiocy. Die Hard for the edgy action and stereotypical characterizations, The Notebook for it's surprising ending. It's an awesome story!
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote