Go Back   FTV Girls Danielle Forum > Main Category > Danielle Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
RonTheLogician
In Love with Danielle

Thumbs up Many thanks, Anoree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoree View Post
...this month 7477 identified spammers tried to join the forum and were denied, 39 new members were accepted.
From those 39 two were spammers that slipped pre-defenses and tried to post spam messages. The spam messages got deleted before they were seen on the forum and the spammers got banned.

I'm sorry if our efforts to keep this forum spam free is getting on your nerves. I try to get registrations and posts validated as soon as possible, but I'm not online 24/7. Posting will get easier with time ... and posts.
Gosh, Anoree. Your extensive labors should elicit the heartfelt thanks of EVERYONE who enjoys following Danny through this venue! Heck, maybe you should even start your OWN Amazon Wishlist?

Against the day troublemakers force excessive countermeasure work, one can consider having new members post a nominal "peace bond" ($10 should be enough) through your standard payment schemes, with all but 10% refunded (to pay for vetting labor) after say, 10 civil posts. The downside is that some welcome would-be participants might then never post.

A less effective countermeasure would be the use of a CAPTCHA hurdle for every post. Today, these are typically self-financing through the use of two puzzles, one of which generates useful work (e.g. human-assisted image recognition).

RonTheLogician
RonTheLogician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
Anoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTheLogician View Post
Gosh, Anoree. Your extensive labors should elicit the heartfelt thanks of EVERYONE who enjoys following Danny through this venue! Heck, maybe you should even start your OWN Amazon Wishlist?

Against the day troublemakers force excessive countermeasure work, one can consider having new members post a nominal "peace bond" ($10 should be enough) through your standard payment schemes, with all but 10% refunded (to pay for vetting labor) after say, 10 civil posts. The downside is that some welcome would-be participants might then never post.

A less effective countermeasure would be the use of a CAPTCHA hurdle for every post. Today, these are typically self-financing through the use of two puzzles, one of which generates useful work (e.g. human-assisted image recognition).

RonTheLogician
Thank you for your suggestions, Ron.

Fortunately the amount of spammers streaming in has decreased considerably. In February, we had only 737 who hit their head on our second barrier (my approval) with 24 Users being accepted. The first barrier is the confirmation of the used email address. 761 registrations stranded there. No post had to be deleted.
This is a workload that can easily be handled. I won't go specific here, but I do have my well working procedures and tools.

Requesting a fee to register would put a lot of people off. We have the Forum free for a reason. Apart from that, a registration fee would be much more work, including handling restitution claims and fraudulent payments. Not worth the effort in my eyes.

To my knowledge, ALL current CAPTCHA mechanisms are cracked or dodged by SPAM bots. There are even some poor people sitting in some cheap loan countries, getting paid to solve CAPTCHA puzzles or Question and Answer riddles. Plus, we don't want our valued real people here to go through that on every post they make.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. We really appreciate your effort to help us here.
Anoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:07 AM   #3
RonTheLogician
In Love with Danielle

Cool Web site internationalization

Yes, English is widely understood, especially in written form. But what if one could automatically translate this Web site into other languages? Maybe you can! For some time now, Google, Microsoft (and maybe more) third parties have provided a free widget one can embed into a Web page which lets the reader translate the page into the human language of his choice. The only issue in my mind is whether these would be compatible with the constraints of vBulletin. (And even if so, extracting and setting the default target language automatically across multiple pages might be problematic.)

I got to thinking about this indirectly... Supposedly, guys in Latin America are more often fond of models with healthy cabooses than those in the States. Too bad they don't have Spanish and Portuguese versions of the site, I sighed...

Of course, the ultimate goal of this site is to enhance revenue. So maybe internationalization is only important if many currencies can be supported, too.
RonTheLogician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:50 AM   #4
Randolph Carter
Danielle Junkie

Location: New Hampshire, where men are men and sheep are nervous
Default And now for something completely different...

Techie question: why do I have to constantly re-login to posting questions or other stuff on the message boards? I've reached the point where I just keep my username in a paste buffer and type in my password. It's not a bad problem - I can cut-and-paste, I'm just curious...
Randolph Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #5
Anoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph Carter View Post
Techie question: why do I have to constantly re-login to posting questions or other stuff on the message boards? I've reached the point where I just keep my username in a paste buffer and type in my password. It's not a bad problem - I can cut-and-paste, I'm just curious...
I guess your browser is set to deny all cookies, even session temporary ones. Or your Internet security software clears them out for you.

You could try to enable cookies for danielleftv.com in your browser and / or whitelisting it in your security software.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:50 AM   #6
Randolph Carter
Danielle Junkie

Location: New Hampshire, where men are men and sheep are nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoree View Post
I guess your browser is set to deny all cookies, even session temporary ones. Or your Internet security software clears them out for you.

You could try to enable cookies for danielleftv.com in your browser and / or whitelisting it in your security software.
Hi Anoree! I've turned on cookies for http://www.danielleftv.com so let's see what happens. The article recommended accepting third-party cookies (which I hate, ever since reading about zombie cookies), but I'll turn it on if that's what it takes. I'll let you know what happens.

If it works, I'll send you some cookies. Or maybe Danielle dressed as a Girl Scout...?
Randolph Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:58 AM   #7
Anoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph Carter View Post
Hi Anoree! I've turned on cookies for http://www.danielleftv.com so let's see what happens. The article recommended accepting third-party cookies (which I hate, ever since reading about zombie cookies), but I'll turn it on if that's what it takes. I'll let you know what happens.
Is it working?

Quote:
If it works, I'll send you some cookies. Or maybe Danielle dressed as a Girl Scout...?
I'd prefer Danielle.

Hey, that's actually a nice theme idea for a shoot! Danielle as a cookie selling Girl Scout that ... seduces the buyer.
Danielle, do you still have a Girl Scout uniform?