Thread: Tech Talk
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 06:19 PM   #24
WhyYou
Lead Moderator (deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grande351 View Post

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this! Please!

I started having an issue last night while trying to access an external USB HD. The drive is a Western Digital - My passport essential 320GB formatted for NTFS. It was (is) about 2/3 full (around 100G left) mostly with photos.

Here's what happened, as well as I can remember:

1. I was on the computer, with the HD opened, when a box popped up in the lower right corner of the screen which said something like "USB Device not recognized" the open drive window then closed.

2. I immediately disconnected the drive and reconnected it. It opened fine, but was very slow accessing pages and opening thumbnails. The light on the drive was flashing a lot, almost like there was a program running or something.

3. I shut the computer down and restarted it with the drive disconnected (the computer would never boot with the drive connected)
once again, there was a lot of flashing so I left it go for about 20 minutes. When I opened the drive, it worked better, but one file gave an error like "disc in drive F is unformatted, would you like to format?" Knowing that formatting would erase all my data, I clicked "no". All other folders seemed to work ok. the properties for the "bad" folder showed 0 files, even though I didn't delete them.

4. I had some success repairing "lost" files before with chkdsk/f so I tried running that from the command prompt, but only on the folder that had the problem, not the whole drive. It came up with a lot of unreadable sectors and after 30 min, phase 1 was only 27% completed. Being impatient, I closed the command prompt and restarted the computer.

5. I then downloaded and ran the WD diagnostics from WD's site. I did a complete scan, which lasted only a few minutes, and found errors, which I clicked "repair".

6. Now, I can't access the drive at all!!! It comes up in "my computer" as "Local Drive F" instead of "My Passport F:" like it always used to. there is again a lot of flashing, but when I click on the drive, "My computer" is either "not responding" or I get and I/O error reading the drive.

Can I save the drive? and more importantly, can I save the data from it? Is it the drive at all, or is it a computer problem? Is there a utility I can uses to rescue it? Given what's on it, I'd rather not send it out to a shop. The drive does run, and doesn't make any strange noises.
Pleeeeeeeeese don tell me that my 200+ Gigs of photos are gone! This is the second time this has happened to me, (The first time was my stupidity and I'd rather not talk about it. )
It is possible that one (or more) of the original files on your external HD, the files that identify the drive as a My Passport drive, have become corrupted or are missing (this could be due to running the chkdsk/f). Try reinstalling the software. Go HERE to find instructions for obtaining the original software for the drive and installation instructions. You may be able to fix the drive without reformatting it. You may also want to contact Western Digital. There are contact numbers on that web site.