Thread: Tech Talk
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #19
Anoree

Default Geezer's stuck video download

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
I signed up for the 90 day option today, got my user name and password, and tried to download some media. So far, I've tried to download two videos, several times, and a photo set. In every case, one of two things happen: (1) the very second I start to download a video, it shows it's done but.... nothing transferred. (2) It appears that a video or photo set downloads but, at end, shows "99% done/transferred" and won't finish. I've tried on both AOL and on IE with no success. In fact, IE sends "error messages" back to Microsoft.

I tried to watch a streaming video but, after five minutes, only 3% had buffered. It is obvious my DSL is too slow and my computer too old to handle Hi Def media. At least on FTV, we are given both Hi Def and lower def options. For me, personally, being a member of D's site is a waste of my retirement savings.

I'm fed up and want my $49.95 refunded!!!!!
For me that sounds to be a (likely) local problem.

Those HD video files are quite huge, up to nearly half a GB, with an average of about 300 MB. Downloading those files means they're stored in the IE's (or AOL's I think) Cache and then copied to the destination directory - which means, TWICE the space is needed for a successful download.

Do you have enough free space on your system drive (where the Temporary Internet Files folder sits) and your destination drive (if that differs)?

I recently had to free up some memory on my laptop's system drive because I had run out of space, resulting in aborted downloads like you described. (Apart from Vista telling me my harddisk was full.)

Other possible causes would be filtering at the Internet Provider (AOL does some filtering, I heard) or problems while analysing the downloaded data by your systems antivirus / antispyware software.

I'd suggest checking the hard drive for errors, clearing the temporary files, running Defrag, and then trying again. (If you haven't done that already, that is. )

And for the download speed, I saw big differences in that downloading at different times.
Sometimes the download rate was somewhere at 200 to 300 KBit/s only. At other times the download rate was at about 3.000 KBit/s.
I guess we're clogging up the server's line at times.
Anoree is offline   Reply With Quote