Thread: Tech Talk
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 03:16 AM   #17
WhyYou
Lead Moderator (deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
In my real life, i am a computer tech. have been for over a decade. Let me start by saying that since i cannot look at your computer, run tests, etc. i am making assumptions and giving you some general advice. a good tech is like a good mechanic. once you find one, keep him/her.

it seems that you have a virus or spy ware that has infected your computer. some of the worse programs out there are these "free" anti virus programs. there are some (anti virus 2009, Winantivirus 2009 anti virus xp, 360 anti virus) that are fake programs, will tell you that your computer is infected and that it needs to clean it... but since you only have the trial version, it can't do anything about it. once you buy the full version, then it will be able to fix your problems. however, this programs CAUSE the problem. then there are legitimate free programs that do not do active scanning. meaning, they only scan when you tell them to scan. so you can get a virus, get infected and they won't do a Darn thing about it.

NOTE: Anti virus is like a vaccine. great to lower your chances of getting infected (even when you get a flu vaccine, you can still get the flu) but useless after the fact.

the best thing to do and the only way to be 100% sure that there is no virus on your computer and it works 100% is to back up all your personal data and restore your computer. depending on the type of computer either it will take disks that came with the computer or a built in feature. but it will ERASE EVERYTHING AND LEAVE IT THE WAY IT WAS WHEN YOU FIRST TOOK IT OUT OF THE BOX. all your pictures, videos, music, files, etc will be gone. you will also have to re-install all the programs you installed after you setup your computer. so make sure you have all the disks you need for that. so back up first. so you would want to do things in the following order.

1- Back up all important data.
2- VERIFY YOUR BACK UP (also this will give you a chance to see if you forgot anything)
3- run restore/recovery partition or disks (this can vary depending on brand of computer)
4- after system has been restored, install all critical updates.
5- update your anti-virus/security software.
6- install your programs.
7- run updates for programs or download upgrades.
8- Scan your back up for viruses.
9- copy data back to your computer and you are back in business.

Now i know that seem like a lot of steps but from years of doing this, that is the only way to make sure that it gets done right and that you give yourself enough room to catch mistakes or prevent from re-infecting your computer. you can send me a private message if you have any questions.

CK
PS. i was thinking of starting a My Space site just for tech advice... any thoughts?
I have been running this computer since 2002 and I have only had to restore it once (during the first year that I had it). I use many free programs that do an excellent job keeping my computer safe and both my anti-virus and spyware programs have LIVE scanners that check web pages, email, and my processes. My firewall also has a defense net that watches protected files, command files, registry files, etc. for modifications. I have caught innumerable spywares and viruses before they had a chance to attack my computer. I don't see the value of restoring a computer just because there MAY be a problem. I would do it only if I continued to have problems after running all my scanners.

BTW...I am currently attending college and majoring in Computer Science with concentration in Web Design & Web Administration.