Thread: Tech Talk
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 02:24 AM   #15
geolarson2
Danielle's Imaginary Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyYou View Post
I use Comodo firewall. It runs well out of the "box" but is easily configured for tighter security. It includes an excellent defense net that watches all files for changes, notifies when protected files change in any way, has the ability to change modes during program installation to facilitate the installation (as long as you authorize the change of mode), sets up files (that are new) for you to review (you can send them in to Comodo if they're unknown) and/or approve, and you can identify files/folders that you want it to watch carefully. I don't think two firewalls on a home PC is necessary and could cause problems. Also, it's not good to have more than one virus scanner running at the same time. They have a tendency to conflict with each other and could cause some system problems. More than one spyware scanner is recommended. Each checks for different thnigs in different ways and the good ones are compatible with each other. My AVG is both an Anti-Virus and an Anti-Spyware (it has a "live" scanner that keeps memory and running processes clean plus checks incoming and outgoing emails and checks web pages). I also use Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D (has a "live" scanner and watches running processes as well as other internal areas), and SpywareBlaster for spyware control. Other utilities are Sweepi (for junk file control), RegSeeker (for cleaning out the registry files, not to be done by the general population), and AusLogics Registry Defrag (for defragging the registry files). I use Windows Disk Defrag regularly (before it's necessary) to keep from having the possibility of crashing. I've been using this computer since 2002 and the only time it crashed was when the power was cut off last winter when we had the big ice storm. That crash wasn't the computer's fault.
Good point Why you, re: the anti-virus scanners. I actually have AVG up, but usually just keep a second in my back pocket, right now Avast, to run if my PC starts acting funny (the rest of the time its disabled). A few years back I wound up with a virus on my PC (maybe it was a trojan or a worm--I forget), and when nothing turned up with the anti-virus I had installed, I ran a second anti-virus program which did find the culprit. Since then I've had one that is running and one that is in reserve. And good point about the firewalls--I shut down one and left the other up (and use a router, too), and my PC is working better than it was just a week ago--smoother, faster, and all for less than $6 million (take that Steve Austin!). After getting burned twice in the past, I'm maybe a little overcautious where PC and security are concerned ()).
geolarson2 is offline   Reply With Quote