View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 09:00 PM   #11
geolarson2
Danielle's Imaginary Boyfriend

Its not so much that I was a stupid teen, but there was this thing that happened when I was about 19 one night at a concert that seems funny to me. I like the Grateful Dead, and I used to go to Dead shows in the SF Bay Area. One night I was going to a New Years' show in Oakland at the Coliseum Arena and had just pulled in, was reaching behind the passenger seat for this card I used to keep that read"I get high on the music" so that the dealers would leave me alone (not such a big deal at Shoreline Amphitheater but more of an issue in Oakland) when there was a rapping at my window. I rolled it down, thinking this was one of those fake valets or someone to do with parking, but instead this guy asks, "Can I get you anything? Whatcha need?" Well, I had my sign in my hand and was putting it up on my dashboard, and since I'd just driven about 90 minutes without a stop and was hungry & thirsty and didn't want to pay extortion rates for crap inside (and had been listening to this song the Dead played that talks about jelly rolls), I asked where I could get some jelly rolls. The guy's looking back and forth, acting really hyper, and says, "Gels, you want gels? I can cat you gels!" I shook my head, repeated "jelly rolls." He just looked real confused, but I'd (finally) caught on. Letting him off the hook, I said "donuts." Then he looked at my dash, saw the sigh, smiled really embarrassed-like and told me there was a quickie mart just down the street. I got my jelly-filled donut, got my ticket torn, and settled in close enough to the stage to get spit on by one of the band who just happens to be a distant cousin of mine. It was a really good show!
geolarson2 is offline   Reply With Quote