Thread: Tech Talk
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #66
Anoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by nndr View Post
I apologize for that post being out of place.
I don't think that's too much of a problem. One of the Administrators moved the posts already. (I supose it was Rob this time.)

Quote:
But my question wasn't in regard to what it is in general. It's just that the FTV videos don't seem to be any standard ratio. In the intro screen it mentions 1440x1080 (1.33), however when I downsize that to 16:9 I wonder if it actually should be watched under that setting. Squares look like squares and circles look like circles. So I just wanted some clarification as to the specifics of these videos.
Now I get it. You were talking about FTV's 8000Kb/sec download (1440x1080, anamorphic, but valid HD resolution) v. 3000Kb/sec download (720x480, SD, 4:3 NTSC resolution).

As the source was in 16:9 the downgraded 3000Kb/sec video should also be watched (or processed) in 16:9. The Windows Media Player does that automatically.

Quote:
just found this thread

non square pixels

I think that answers it. I should be watching it in 16:9 then rather than the default display it shows in vlc.
You got it. Why vlc plays it as 4:3 and the Windows Media Player plays it in 16:9 I don't know. I guess MS provides an attribute within the wmv file header about the intended aspect ratio, and vlc doesn't get it.

Rob wanted to omit the DivX download option (352x256, variable bitrate), but too many customers still wanted to use it.
Anoree is offline   Reply With Quote