View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #898
RonTheLogician
In Love with Danielle

Post C-c-c-c-changes

Hello Dani,

I've caught up with your vlog videos again and want to respond.

First, the quality of your vlog videos is excellent and reflects well on your production skills. The only thing I personally find problematic is how very large your files have become, as you've moved to higher spatial resolution. I'm not sure this adds very much quality to your videos, but it sure does make it burdensome for viewers using a slow connection or an expensive one, like cell phone air time. Since I expect you want these videos to circulate as widely as possible, to provide publicity for your paid product, it should be as easy as possible to do so. Smaller files would help.

I'm delighted to learn you have migrated from Microsoft Mover Maker (MMM) to Adobe Premier Pro (APP), even if the transition was forced - and at least a bit burdensome. APP is a true professional class product capable of feature film use. Obviously, you don't have to use all its bells and whistles, but it is great to know they are there if you need them.

I make casual use of APP myself, although I also keep at hand VLC Media Player for "transcoding" between various codec formats - which I recall was a big job you had with many of your existing videos when you changed servers the other year! And once in a while I still run MMM on Windows 10 for a quick, simple job: although Microsoft disabled its download at the end of last year, I still keep the installation I made of it several years ago. By the way, on Windows 10, Microsoft Photos seems to have taken the place of the delayed would-be MMM replacement, Windows Story Remix. It can trim and seam video clips, but is even more feeble than MMM was.

When you were forced to learn APP, there were a couple introductory videos from Lynda.com which would have helped you along. First What is Adobe Premiere Pro?, an 89-minute video here. Then Premiere Pro CC 2017 Essential Training: The Basics, a 6+ hours video here.

I really don't know what to tell you about protecting your paid product through means like DMCA takedown notices. Do these even work when the servers are not physically present in US territory? There exist services which do the enforcement work for you, but I don't know how to determine how good a job they do. Couldn't they even clandesinely post your content themselves, and then bill you for taking it down? This being a problem for the entire adult film industry, it would seem that great economies of scale could be achieved by centralizing enforcement work through a subcription service bureau run by an industry association. Have you looked into the existence of something like that? And how do your old friends at FTV handle this stuff?

A savvy discussion of professional artistic industry in the post-Napster age is the subject of the book Information Doesn't Want to Be Free: Laws for the Internet Age (McSweeny's, 2015), Amazon page here, which you might like to read.

Notwithstanding inconveniences and challenges, you seem to be thriving and happy. It make me happy to see you that way!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cover.jpg (43.4 KB, 21 views)
RonTheLogician is offline   Reply With Quote