View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 12:59 AM   #163
geolarson2
Danielle's Imaginary Boyfriend

I wasn't great at math, and had to have tutors on occasion, but I did manage to get as far as trig with a passing grade. The problem is, while I make myself do basic math by hand just to prove to myself I can do it, I was asked just the other night to help out someone younger figure our the median average on 3 problems. Alright, first I knew there was a median average, a mean average and a mode average, but couldn't, for the life of me, remember which was which (and Wikipedia gave a formula that I did not understand, at all, and which made me feel even more stupid than I did before, and that's saying something ). Anyway, it took me about an hour to sort it out. I am now dreading the day when I'm asked to do anything harder, such as algebra, figure a sine, cosine or tangent or work with logarithms, so don't be hard on yourself. You use algebra or higher math how often, compared with language, spoken or written? It is a matter of practice. I took Spanish for three years and was good enough to sit down and read Don Quixote by the end of my 3rd year, in Spanish, but now I can't be anything more than polite in very broken Espanol, and I get my tenses wrong, left and right. So you go back and brush up, then come back fighting hard and strong in the summer or fall--in the meantime, you're back on campus with a bag stuffed with really thick, really expensive texts slung over your shoulder, trying hard not to fall asleep in the boring classes, taking down every single thing that hot prof says in the really wicked cool class. Feed your mind, Ms D, and enjoy! !!
geolarson2 is offline   Reply With Quote