View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 12:08 AM   #108
YetAnotherDave
Danielle's Biggest Fan

Send a message via ICQ to YetAnotherDave Send a message via MSN to YetAnotherDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by grande351 View Post
Danielle,
A lot of times, those "virus warning" pop-up windows are actually adware disguised to look like real warnings. don't open those because they can download more crap on your computer.
Very good sound advice.
I'd first run a scan using whatever virus software is installed on the computer (McAfee, Norton....etc. Just make sure it's up to date first!). If that doesn't find anything, you could download one of the free adware removal programs, like Ad-Aware (there are many others too) and run a scan with that and see if it finds anything.
Assumes you have one installed, if not various companies do online Virus scanning and some are very good. Also do you have personal firewall installed ? That is a neccesary evil I'm afraid.
Replacing a DVD burner on a laptop can be expensive since they're sometimes proprietary and have to come from the original manufacturer.
Sad to say that is also true, usually ripoff prices unless warranty still in force.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger View Post
Send your laptop to whyyou he can fix it.
Bet he could too !!

More than likely Malware than a virus but certainly a possibility. Does the laptop actually function? If so,I would offload any precious files to an external Hard Drive, well you can't use the DVD (nix) and they are so cheap well worth the investment. If the DVD drive is totally snafu then see if Rob's got an external USB drive & do a complete reinstall/recovery if it will let you. All depends how old your laptop is. Is there any warranty left?

Final option: plead poverty and ask Father Christmas at FTV Towers for a new one so you can do your website for him !!!!!