View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #203
RonTheLogician
In Love with Danielle

Thumbs up Many thanks, Anoree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoree View Post
...this month 7477 identified spammers tried to join the forum and were denied, 39 new members were accepted.
From those 39 two were spammers that slipped pre-defenses and tried to post spam messages. The spam messages got deleted before they were seen on the forum and the spammers got banned.

I'm sorry if our efforts to keep this forum spam free is getting on your nerves. I try to get registrations and posts validated as soon as possible, but I'm not online 24/7. Posting will get easier with time ... and posts.
Gosh, Anoree. Your extensive labors should elicit the heartfelt thanks of EVERYONE who enjoys following Danny through this venue! Heck, maybe you should even start your OWN Amazon Wishlist?

Against the day troublemakers force excessive countermeasure work, one can consider having new members post a nominal "peace bond" ($10 should be enough) through your standard payment schemes, with all but 10% refunded (to pay for vetting labor) after say, 10 civil posts. The downside is that some welcome would-be participants might then never post.

A less effective countermeasure would be the use of a CAPTCHA hurdle for every post. Today, these are typically self-financing through the use of two puzzles, one of which generates useful work (e.g. human-assisted image recognition).

RonTheLogician
RonTheLogician is offline   Reply With Quote