Thread: Tech Talk
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2008, 02:06 PM   #27
WhyYou
Lead Moderator (deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grande351 View Post
Thanks for the reply WhyYou.

I'm afraid that might not work. The drive was originally formatted as FAT32 and I reformatted it as NTFS prior to using it. I did this primairly because the Seagate Free Agent drives I'd been using were NTFS, and someone told me that FAT32 was slower. I don't really know the difference between the two.

I scanned it with a trial version of EasyRecovery Pro and it was able to find many of the files. Of course, being a trial version, I wasn't able to copy any of the files out to my C: drive. to do that, I need the full version, for $199.00
I was hoping there might be some freeware out there that I could use.
CK1's suggestion is a good one. I would also suggest that you burn as many files as you can access onto discs. Then reformat the drive using the original software along with the NTFS utility. The original problem may have been a fault in your USB controller. There is a way to check the connectivity of the USB system but it's deeply technical and should be done by a qualified technician. Do you know if you have USB 1.1 or 2.0? You should have 2.0 for your MyPassport drive but it will run with 1.1, just slower.