View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 01:32 AM   #21
WhyYou
Lead Moderator (deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geolarson2 View Post
Cool, in that case have as much fun as you can. I'm happy that you're studying what you want to, really. A lot of my early decisions were based less on where my heart lead or what my passions and more on my family nagging me with the question, "How are you going to make a living doing that?" Eventually I did find my way to some of the courses and disciplines I enjoy, but even then I set aside some others aside (i.e., pursuing photography). You always think, "next time I'll do it .." or "Maybe not today, but tomorrow ..." and the next thing you know, you've settled for something less than you want and less than you deserve. That goes for anyone who's still in school, as well as the rest of us who have finished with our formal education and are now something of autodydacts (I think that could include Rob who I understand was/is a well-respected glamour and commercial photographer but who wasn't trained as a videographer. Did that stop him? No. Was he successful. Tthis is where we all utter a collective "Duh!" at such a silly question. So, again, welcome back to school, WhyYou, and glad to hear you're going back, too, Danielle! Cheers to you both!
I think the reason why I've been able to chose the courses that I really want to learn about is because I never went to college when I was young. I went to work right out of high school and have worked in jobs for most of my life that I had to make fun rather than them being fun to start out with. And I've done a few jobs that I really hated. So I've had the time to figure out what I really want to do now that I'm old...lol. And I have a lot of life experience in the general field through different jobs that I've held. However, I wouldn't recommend doing the same thing for everybody, it's been a hard road for me. But it did work well for me too.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it!...LOL!