View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 02:00 AM   #7
the Dutch mountains
Dreaming of Danielle

Anyone with a Mac can convert movies to play on an iPod or iPhone. QuickTime can do it, VisualHub can do it, and there are probably 5 more free apps that can do it.

What I don't understand is why most sites stil use the ancient WMV format. It's almost impossible to convert material to WMV without losing a lot of quality, while H.264 can maintain quality, even with fast moving or complex material.

For example the video from Pepper. I absolutely adore Pepper and Danielle, so the video of them in the pool was a dream come true. Until you actually look at the video, and see this:

That is clearly a compression problem. The motion of the water is fast, and needs a good motion estemation setting in order to keep the quality maintained, and WMV lacks good ME settings. ( Unless this already went wrong in the camera, which can happen when you shoot in the AVCHD mode ) So if you really want to deliver good quality FullHD movies, you should use a format that can give you that. Formats like H.264, which also play fine on any OS.
the Dutch mountains is offline   Reply With Quote