View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #24
captnjack
Danielle's Imaginary Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natal View Post
There is a web intelligence company called alexa.com, which gathers information using a toolbar (they claim to have millions out in cyberspace) installed on users computers. If you go to their site you can enter any address and get an idea of how much traffic that site gets. It isnt accurate in the sense that it doesnt capture traffic on computers without their toolbar (so there may be skewing between topics), but it does give you an order of magnitude estimate of how popular a site is.
I will have to disagree with your conclusion that this company’s results represent a site’s popularity. In order for a sample to represent the trend of its population the sample has to be randomly drawn. To say that there may be some skewing of the result is an understatement it is a given since this company’s data is bias (limited) to only users with this special toolbar. To extrapolate any trend this company has gathered onto the population as whole is statistically unsound. I will also speculate that all you are going to get from this site is some affiliates’ tracking cookie.