View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #567
Anoree

I agree, mart, there are way too much reckless cyclists driving around. I once counted bikes with and without light that I passed on my way home from work. A quarter of them went without light.

A couple of years ago I was driving my car with my brother on the passenger seat and we almost hit a cyclist driving around in the night without light, wearing dark clothes. I stopped, my brother turned down his window and yelled something like "Lights on, or tired of life!" (It looses impact at translation.) That guy had his lights on within 5 seconds.

But you don't have do ride a bike to be dangerously careless. Just two days ago a pedestrian was weary of life, too: Nighttime, rainy weather, on a small street on the outskirts. One car drives towards me in the opposite direction. One car parked on my side of the road, across the street and some yards off a youth club, seemingly waiting for someone.
After I got past that waiting car someone decides to run over the street. All I saw at first was the comming car's ligts disappearing and I hit the brakes. When the person got on my side of the street, I only saw the legs of running trousers passing just a few yards in front of me.
The brightest thing on that person was the blue jeans, and that includes his brain. If I hadn't been wondering about that waiting car, I never could have braked in time to avoid hitting the runner.
In retrospect I should have stopped to ask that guy if he wanted a ticket to the hospital.

Mart, you see, other countries have their share of loonies in road traffic, too. (I might be even one of them. )
Anoree is offline   Reply With Quote