View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
geolarson2
Danielle's Imaginary Boyfriend

Here I'd thought that worm had gone back to ground. Silly me. First, get yourself that restraining order. It will encourage him to stay away from you, but does not necessarily prevent him from making statements about you. When I was an undergrad, I took some pre-law-type courses, mostly to do with civil liberties & the Constitution (that was over a dozen years ago now, BTW), so I'm not an expert--I know some things changed since the Internet took off, and when I was studying, the Internet didn't really exist, not as it is now (I never even saw it, via Explorer or Navigator until grad school; the closest I got was Lynx, and that was my senior year of university). First and foremost are your personal safety, both you, Danielle and Rob, so get those restraining orders yesterday. Second, you have your FAQ section here and require registration to post--you also have the ability to block or delete, either directly or through WhyYou or laranger, anything this individual tries to post can be removed at your discretion. This is your site, created with your money and using your image--we are your guests. You have the right to kick any of us out if we do not follow your rules of the house. As far as slander goes, you'd have to prove that in court and as you are now bordering on public figure status (I say that due to FTV's popularity, plus the ability to Google or use PeachyForum, FreeOnes, Ask Jolene, &c. to locate your images), its harder to prove. And as for defamation, its entirely possible that a jury or judge would rule against you just because of the line of work you're in, not necessarily on the merits of the case. Total BS & total hypocrisy, in my be it ever so humble opinion. Most courts I think still put First Amendment rights in front of almost anything else. You do potentially have one thing going for you, though, and that's the fact that you do not use your last name, and, for that matter, Danielle may be a pseudonym you use for your career. In other words, you have taken steps to protect your personal identity, and this person you said had been floating personal info about you, that you might have a good chance at stopping or suing over if it comes to that point. In any even, its most likely a civil matter as it stands now, rather than a criminal one. One of the better solutions, and one I think I saw someone else offer here, is to just not take his bait. If he shows his face around here, kick him out. If he tries a run-around by joining FTVGirls, Rob has the option of refunding his money and preventing him from causing trouble there, too (of course I haven't seen a forum there, so maybe thats a moot point). If he telephones you, and you have your restraining order, you may have him--make sure an order includes communication, and that may even be enough to prevent him from posting here (I forget where the Internet law went, or if it included stalking which I think this could be considered--likewise I'm not sure where AZ is on stalker laws, although I'm pretty sure its less than CA or NY). Anyway, you have options, but the first thing is to get a court involved to protect yourselves, period. You are the one in power, Danielle, not this apparently spoiled, silly little boy. As always, my sincerest best wishes

Last edited by geolarson2; 09-29-2008 at 11:28 PM.
geolarson2 is offline   Reply With Quote