View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 04:50 PM   #894
RonTheLogician
In Love with Danielle

Cool Your continuing education

Hello Dani,

I'd like to address the issue of your continuing education.

First, I doubt you will be surprised how delighted I am you are working to strengthen your professional technique by paying more attention to lighting and multiple cameras. Shifting between camera views with time flowing continuously can increase the eroticism of the viewing experience. And sometimes having extra cameras provides useful "instant replays" from alternative vantage points, providing more footage without any additional talent-hour cost.

Second, I'm pleased that you seem to have stopped attending university. By dropping your courses before substantially (or completely) finishing them, you were just wasting your money, reinforcing a habit bad for everyone, and helping to drive up the cost of education, which not a few students discover can be quite oppressive today. What a pity you did not instead invest those many thousands of dollars in, say, a diversified mutual fund!

This is not to say that I don't think continuing education is useful for most adults, particularly those doing professional and creative work, e.g. media production. It is just that the university track was wasting your time and money, because, for whatever reason, you could never get serious about seeing it through.

Instead, I would encourage you to engage in uncredited self-study, as your ability to do so in earnest admits. There are numerous wonderful books, videos and other materials to serve you, as well as social networks which would help you find student colleagues and even the occasional credentialed tutor of whom you could ask hard questions about your studies. For inspiration, you might read a 2015 book titled: The End of College: Creating the Future of Learning and the University of Everywhere, Amazon page here.

Recently I had the chance to review a two-hour no-prerequisite video from 2005 titled The History of Film and Video Editing published by Lynda.com. "Lynda" has been doing stuff like this all century long, and was acquired by LinkedIn, which was subsequently acquired by Microsoft. Founded by an industry-experienced multimedia educator, Lynda now boasts a collection of over six thousand instructional videos. For a mere $20 to $30 monthly, you can view as many of them as you like, with the first month FREE!

So when you find the time, why not give Lynda a try? In particular, try checking out the particular video I cited, which lives here. (If she has ambitions to expand her media skills, you might show this suggestion to your recent photographer, Lia.)

Even if you have have no interest at all in history per se, you should be aware that many of the ideas most editors exploit to this very day were discovered early in cinema history, long before digital tools, or even analog electronic tools like tape were used!

Good luck continuing to develop your film-making expertise!

RtL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cover.jpg (23.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg course.jpg (66.1 KB, 35 views)
RonTheLogician is offline   Reply With Quote