View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #8
Randolph Carter
Danielle Junkie

Location: New Hampshire, where men are men and sheep are nervous
Default Very Bad Words

Hi Danielle,

I saw in one of your updates (not sure which one) that you were trying to give up swearing (if I had to go through the day without profanity, I'd last about five minutes - less without coffee...)

Anyway, there was a study done (no link, I'll look it up if you're curious) where students had to plunge one hand into a bucket of *extremely* cold water. The researchers timed them (they could take their hands out anytime) and noted the average time and all that statistical stuff.

Then, they repeated the experiment and told the students they could swear their heads off - no limits, say anything you like. There was a very definite increase in how long they could hold their hands in the freezing water.

The conclusion was that swearing produces a very real response in humans and that it enables us to cope with adverse conditions. Consider any of the cultures on Earth - every one has some sort of cursing!

So...next time you're having a bad day, let loose. Use every bad word you know, plus lots of the really bad ones! It may save your life from a heart attack (bottled-up stress) and put you in a better state of mind, plus it will give you strength to survive the trials of life. Swearing is good for you; science has proven it!
Randolph Carter is offline   Reply With Quote