View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 11:03 PM   #47
geolarson2
Danielle's Imaginary Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTVGirls_Rob View Post
dude, I've lied down in 5 inch deep pigeon poop to get good shots, (which in that case I got severely sick for a week -- alison shoot 'pigeon kingdom'.
My favourite line of Charlie & the Chocolate Factory is when Willie Wonka's commenting on chocolate-covered Augustus Gloop--"eew!" Seems appropriate here! Those underpasses are stinky, and I'd be disinclined to lay down under one, especially one with a healthy (relatively speaking) pigeon population. I walk under one of those highway bypasses to get to the supermarket and have to tread carefully (in its infinite wisdom, the city did not pave the sidewalk--they did the curb, gutter and, of course, the supports for the road above, but not where people walk). But, having said that, I've laid down in a meadow of cow pies, trod through horse pucky and, after taking a nice photo or two (out of a dozen-plus throwaways) and knelt in what turned out to be a pile of rabbit pellets, something I was (not) pleased to discover when I put my hand down to steady myself as I got back up (I am sure that when up on Saddleback you've encountered your fair share of nasty stuff, too). But you do what you need to to get, or try to get, that one really fantastic shot. And to be perfectly honest, it did take me a couple minutes to sort out how the jumping one was done (I even took out my camera and tried to recreate the angles because it really is just such a great photo). After about 10 minutes of experimenting, I found myself laying prone, slightly on my side with my lens angled up a touch. I'm not sure how far away you were, Rob, or whether you were using a telephoto (what I'd use) or a normal 50mm or wide-angle lens, filters, &c. (I usually just stick with a UV haze more to protect the lens itself than for anything else). When you're behind the lens, its all about the art whether you're shooting women, a sunset or wildlife. Photography, it seems to me, is a lot like hunting--you're always searching for the right angle, the right subject or target, biding your time to get that one clean shot off. And on the plus side no one has to die! (Yippie!) Now for me the only question I have left is how many throwaways did you have to get that one, or did you get a hole in one? In any event, it just shows how creative a photographer you are, and what a fortunate one, too, to be able to work with so many gentlewomen to create a shared vision.
geolarson2 is offline   Reply With Quote