View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Texasdrake
Danielle's Biggest Fan

Well you be surprise how many things slip through the cracks.There are times when the public doesn't know whats going on till its too late.One thing some people may not know is when you buy some of your own land..it doesn't mean you "own" everything.Most likely you only own whats on top and not whats underneath,whats known as "Mineral rights".It cost more to own the minerals rights to your land.My best friend has 100 acres of land Between Dallas and Houston and when he brought that land the mineral rights were already own by someone or some company.They had already drilled the land that he owns years before he broguht it.So the chances of them coming back is pretty slim.The rancher who owns alot of land next to my friend and alot of land in the general area own his mineral rights and he sold leasing rights to an energy company.It goes without saying the rancher is making money from the leases.people who aren't lucky enough to own the mineral rights to thier land has no say so if an energy company want to drill under their land.Like in some cases around here they just set up next to the other person's land and drill at an angle under thier property.