View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 03:23 AM   #20
geolarson2
Danielle's Imaginary Boyfriend

Yeah, Lord of the Rings isn't for everyone. I read the 3 volumes when I was in 8th grade in 1 week, but then everyone was reading it (& I'm not keen on being part of a fad) so I found Bored of the Rings as kind of my way of poking a few jabs back at my friends (I guess that's what the guys form the Harvard Lampoon thought too--to be honest, the funniest part of the book is the authors' forward).

I bounced around early on in college. Anthro was wicked fun. I focused myself on cultural anthro though (but at the same time I did really enjoy spending a few days just observing the apes at the San Francisco Zoo & still find Lucy & now Ardi, et al really fascinating; maybe I see myself in them ...ooh-ooh ee-ee ah-ah-ah! lol). And yep, Ms D is working towards med school and pathology. I'm pretty sure she can do it.

You know the story of Lady Godiva? Based on a real person actually. The real Godgifu was married to an English earl back around 1000 years ago. I'm not sure if she really rode through Coventry naked or not, but I do like her spirit! She is actually a great-great-great (however many greats it takes to go back 1000 years) grandmother of Queen Elizabeth II, among others. I guess most people of English descent, and probably a good number of Continental Europeans are her offspring by now.

I never had a saltwater aquarium, although I was around them a lot when I was younger (my 1st, 2d & 4th jobs were at pet shops where I worked almost exclusively with the fish). I did have a 100 gallon freshwater which was fantastic, but when I moved 6 1/2 years ago I had to break it down & put it in storage (I've lived in 2d floor apartments since, and 100 gallons (or so) of H2O, plus gravel, plus stand, plus filters, powerheads, rocks & fish weigh a lot!). When I had it set up though I kept an 12" oscar, 18" black pacu, 18" plecostomus, 7" hoplo cat & a couple 5" red hooks, all Amazon fish.

As for the whole Costa Rica v NYC thing, his loss, your gain! I've never been to NYC (although my grandparents live upstate where my Mom was born), but in addition to the Met might you want to take in the Museum of Modern Art? I'm sure you'll have fun regardless, especially since you're getting to catch-up with old friends along the way.

Safe journeys, Ms R

PS I know you had to curtail your shoots because of the storm that petered out, but did you get to try that Canon you mentioned? I love Canon! Cheers