PDA

View Full Version : Your Local Weather

geolarson2
10-10-2008, 08:45 PM
We have birthdays, jokes, and all sorts of topics here, so I figured, why not weather?

To start things off, and to paraphrase something a guy named Jim Lovell once said, "Houston, we've got snow here." At about 10:30 this morning it started snowing for the first time since last March or April here in the Truckee South Meadows. At shortly after 6AM as I watched the sun rise over the Huffaker range to my east, I recalled that old nautical saying, "Red before night, sailor's delight; red before morning, sailor's warning." It was a red morning with clouds covering the sky east to west. When I went to bed last night, the sky was clear, the stars out showing very crisply. Last night the temp also dipped quite low--for the first time in months, the furnace actually kicked on (and it was turned down low). To BledAngelShadow, laranger & DWM222 and anyone else east of me and in this latitude, chances are its going to get cold your way soon, so break out those coats, gloves, hats, &c.!:) Think about it--snowboarding, skiing, tubing, &c., are maybe just a couple weeks away! Boo-yeah!:D

DWM222
10-10-2008, 08:54 PM
We have birthdays, jokes, and all sorts of topics here, so I figured, why not weather?

To start things off, and to paraphrase something a guy named Jim Lovell once said, "Houston, we've got snow here." At about 10:30 this morning it started snowing for the first time since last March or April here in the Truckee South Meadows. At shortly after 6AM as I watched the sun rise over the Huffaker range to my east, I recalled that old nautical saying, "Red before night, sailor's delight; red before morning, sailor's warning." It was a red morning with clouds covering the sky east to west. When I went to bed last night, the sky was clear, the stars out showing very crisply. Last night the temp also dipped quite low--for the first time in months, the furnace actually kicked on (and it was turned down low). To BledAngelShadow, laranger & DWM222 and anyone else east of me and in this latitude, chances are its going to get cold your way soon, so break out those coats, gloves, hats, &c.!:) Think about it--snowboarding, skiing, tubing, &c., are maybe just a couple weeks away! Boo-yeah!:D

Its already cold here...bummer, I hate the cold

WhyYou
10-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Here in Missouri it's sunny and a nice 75 degrees with nighttime temps in the 50's. :D

dtstuff9
10-11-2008, 02:33 PM
It's a beautiful 23°C (or 70 something for our American friends), sunny skies here in Toronto, Canada. Couldn't ask for a better long weekend in October.

Happy Thanksgiving!!! (Or Columbus Day for our neighbours to the south)

geolarson2
10-11-2008, 02:37 PM
The snow yesterday turned to light hail then rain yesterday late afternoon/early evening, so the snow that had started sticking to the trees, grass, was melted away. On the up side (for me), the Sierra's are living up to their name now ("nevada" means snow-capped). Two weeks ago yesterday, I was down at the pool swimming; 1 week ago it got cold enough to break out the blankets; and now we're getting snow. This, BTW, is about 2-3 weeks earlier than usual.

geolarson2
10-11-2008, 02:42 PM
It's a beautiful 23°C (or 70 something for our American friends), sunny skies here in Toronto, Canada. Couldn't ask for a better long weekend in October.

Happy Thanksgiving!!! (Or Columbus Day for our neighbours to the south)

Hey there, dtstuff9, Happy Thanksgiving to you! I have an old friend who lives up in Ottawa who works for HealthCanada. Her mom used to be an Assistant (or maybe it was Associate) Dean at York U.

Now, since this is a weather thread, let me just say Lucky! I hear its going to be a bad winter down here, but sincerely hope that you don't have such bad ice storms like a few years back! Now where did I put my Farmer's Almanac ...?

geolarson2
10-11-2008, 10:59 PM
I was looking out my window at the clouds heading east over the Huffaker range and suddenly realized: the weather I'm getting today was Geezer's weather yesterday. Tomorrow it'll be BledAngel Shadow's. The day after that, unless something another front pushes or pulls it aside, its going to go through where laranger & DWM222 live. Just saying ...

And after a morning & early afternoon with some blue skies, its all gone grey and the cloud ceiling has gone down a lot, with some particularly dark clouds thrown in there to boot! No snow here since yesterday, but the wind has that chill to it.

DWM222
10-12-2008, 12:58 AM
I was looking out my window at the clouds heading east over the Huffaker range and suddenly realized: the weather I'm getting today was Geezer's weather yesterday. Tomorrow it'll be BledAngel Shadow's. The day after that, unless something another front pushes or pulls it aside, its going to go through where laranger & DWM222 live. Just saying ...

And after a morning & early afternoon with some blue skies, its all gone grey and the cloud ceiling has gone down a lot, with some particularly dark clouds thrown in there to boot! No snow here since yesterday, but the wind has that chill to it.

I would appreciate it if you & Geezer could throw up some kind of barrier when you notice bad weather coming my way...It's been cold & rainy here..burrrrrrrr

Geezer
10-12-2008, 03:27 AM
I would appreciate it if you & Geezer could throw up some kind of barrier when you notice bad weather coming my way...It's been cold & rainy here..burrrrrrrr

Hey! If I could block your weather I would. The past two days, it's been windy and cold here in the Bay Area. I know, I know, it's all "relative." But, when we are used to T-shirts and shorts weather and then it chills down to sweater and long pants, it's cold to us "locals.":cool:

In fact, I was planning to drive up to San Francisco today (Sat) for their annual "Fleet Week" but the winds postponed the Parade of Ships until tomorrow, Sunday. I'm not even sure if the Blue Angels were able to perform.

And... we had a very small earthquake yesterday afternoon. I was doing cardio at my gym and didn't feel it but read about it later on.:eek:

laranger
10-12-2008, 03:37 AM
In fact, I was planning to drive up to San Francisco today (Sat) for their annual "Fleet Week" but the winds postponed the Parade of Ships until tomorrow, Sunday. I'm not even sure if the Blue Angels were able to perform.

Looks like they are allowed again. http://www.military.com/fleetweek

Max
10-12-2008, 05:06 AM
Personally I like warm weather, but I was wondering what kind of weather Danielle likes.

Geezer
10-12-2008, 07:43 AM
Well, since Danielle made a home for herself in Phoenix, I'm sure she likes it HOT. After all, she, and we, don't want that amaziing body bundled up in winter clothing. Those amazing breasts need air - to be free to move and shimy - not restrained by multiple garments.:rolleyes:

tigger
10-21-2008, 11:48 AM
from what i can see out the window it has ben nice here in NC.

dtstuff9
10-21-2008, 10:22 PM
It's freakin snowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Geezer
10-21-2008, 10:44 PM
It's freakin snowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Well.... YEAH! Look where you live!!!! Freaking CANADA! Winter comes early to you northern dwelling folks.:cool:

PurplePanties
10-24-2008, 06:08 AM
My contribution for the next 5 days - http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0008 :D

indyfan
10-24-2008, 08:39 AM
The weather here is a disaster, it has not rained here for 6 weeks, only had 12 inches of rain in 2008 and tomorrow's daytime high will be 100 degrees F ... and its October!! :(

mart
10-24-2008, 08:44 PM
My contribution for the next 5 days - http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0008 :D

Thanks for the weather report. You wouldn't happen to be a londoner by any chance?.:D
I'm a Kentishman.:)

Marius
11-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Beautiful blue skies and tropical warm weather here in the tourist town.

All this talk about snow...what is it?

geolarson2
11-04-2008, 02:08 AM
The weather here is a disaster, it has not rained here for 6 weeks, only had 12 inches of rain in 2008 and tomorrow's daytime high will be 100 degrees F ... and its October!! :(

Are you over in the Great Western Desert, or around Perth by any chance? That's rough weather, indyfan, and while where I live is technically a desert, its a lot easier than where you are evidently.

geolarson2
11-04-2008, 02:18 AM
Robin Williams, in Good Morning, Vietnam, and Ollie Williams, the weatherman from Family Guy would probably describe the weather here as "cold and wet!" Over the past few weeks, the weather here in the mountain shadow between the Sierra Nevada and Great Basin desert has gone hot & cold. Now, for a couple days running, it has been decidedly, and one-sidedly cold. Sun evening it rained enough to cause a blackout, tonight on my way to & from the pharmacy (chemists to those in the UK, Canada, Australia & NZ), which is just 2 blocks away, I watched the clouds, big purple things, roll over & down the slops of the Sierras, that mist that indicates rain coming along with them. Earlier in the day, I'd been out to the supermarket which is about a mile down the road, I noted that Mt. Rose (the other side of which is Lake Tahoe) & Slide Mountain were both covered with a very nice coat of snow. In just the short amount of time it took me to go to & from the drug store, a heavy mist began to come down. I knew it was coming, since I'd been watching the local Fox affiliate (which is also the Fox affiliate from Oakland CA) and had seen it drizzling down in the SF Bay Area (must have been nice, Geezer, to get the rain before it came over the Sierras & got cold--burrrr!), so here's a warning for those folks to my east in UT & CO--bundle up if you haven't already. This might turn out to be one of those extra-cold years like we had back in 2004, although I'd be surprised if we got as much snow as we did then

Satir
11-05-2008, 11:36 PM
cold, rainy, fall...

YetAnotherDave
11-05-2008, 11:38 PM
It's night time here and can't see weather outside - sorry !!

MISSY
11-06-2008, 06:20 PM
We are stuck in a snow storm up in the north west. 60 + mph winds. It is terable. Tigger is catching a nap he didn't sleep well last night.

DWM222
11-06-2008, 07:03 PM
We are stuck in a snow storm up in the north west. 60 + mph winds. It is terable. Tigger is catching a nap he didn't sleep well last night.

Heard about that storm...hope you brought some warm coats & blankets...I hate snow:)

MISSY
11-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Its not just the snow it is this wind, it will nock you over! we are at a miltary base in a nice warm room.

Texasdrake
11-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Its been nice here in Texas..a few mornings where it was cool or alittle cold but the afternoons were warm.Looks like that about to change with a cold front coming in.

MISSY
11-07-2008, 01:04 AM
Here is a still off of one of the cameras on tiggers truck just before we shut down.

tigger
11-07-2008, 01:52 AM
Its crappy out all right. We just got the ok to roll in the morning. 445 more mles and im done with this load. Hope to go back east there is a sorm moving in will be here sun. And i want to be gone.

WhyYou
11-07-2008, 07:03 AM
That IS a nasty looking storm. I've been in a few stroms like that when I was younger. I don't care to be in another one though. But those type of storms did teach me a lot about how to drive in inclement weather.

ugo
11-07-2008, 07:53 AM
Do you excuse, But is Tigger already at work? Have they left Ohio away?

WhyYou
11-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Tigger went back to work on Monday ugo.

tigger
11-07-2008, 11:25 PM
MARCY GOT LICKED BY A BUFFALO!!!!:eek: WE WERE SHUT DOWN YESTERDAY DUE TO THE WEATHER SO WE WENT EXPLORING AND CAME TO A BUFFALO RANCH SO WE PULLED TO THE SIDE AND WERE LOOKING AT THEM AND THEY CAME UP TO THE FENCE AND MARCY WANTED A PITURE OF HER BY THE FENCE WITH THE BUFFALO BEHIND HER SO SHE STOOD IN FRONT OF THE FENCE AND ONE OF THE BUFFALO STUCK ITS TOUNG RIGHT ACROST HER FACE. THAT THINGS TOUNG HAD TO BE A FOOT LONG. I WISH W COULD HAVE GOTTEN THAT ON VIDEO. THE LOOK ON HER FACE WAS PRICELESS. SHE WAS PISSSED AT ALL OF US FOR NOT TELLING HER IT WAS THAT CLOSE.

laranger
11-08-2008, 12:18 AM
MARCY GOT LICKED BY A BUFFALO!!!!:eek: WE WERE SHUT DOWN YESTERDAY DUE TO THE WEATHER SO WE WENT EXPLORING AND CAME TO A BUFFALO RANCH SO WE PULLED TO THE SIDE AND WERE LOOKING AT THEM AND THEY CAME UP TO THE FENCE AND MARCY WANTED A PITURE OF HER BY THE FENCE WITH THE BUFFALO BEHIND HER SO SHE STOOD IN FRONT OF THE FENCE AND ONE OF THE BUFFALO STUCK ITS TOUNG RIGHT ACROST HER FACE. THAT THINGS TOUNG HAD TO BE A FOOT LONG. I WISH W COULD HAVE GOTTEN THAT ON VIDEO. THE LOOK ON HER FACE WAS PRICELESS. SHE WAS PISSSED AT ALL OF US FOR NOT TELLING HER IT WAS THAT CLOSE.

LOL!! Tigg, ya might want to change your sig. cause' I think it would be Marcy who is right behind you during the chase. LOLOL!!

ugo
11-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Nice "Buffalo", Tigger !!!!!!:eek:

I remember a famous Movie of the Buffalo in the middle of the storm of the snow, and with the actor Charles Bronson and another (an Indian seems).

Tigger, has made me remember that Movie. I believe that has been beautiful to see a Buffalo !!!

DWM222
11-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Will her new nickname be "Buffalo Gal"...LOL

laranger
11-08-2008, 03:48 PM

I remember a famous Movie of the Buffalo in the middle of the storm of the snow, and with the actor Charles Bronson and another (an Indian seems).

Tigger, has made me remember that Movie. I believe that has been beautiful to see a Buffalo !!!

Ugo, I believe this is the movie you are asking about. http://stores.blowoutdvd1.com/-strse-117/White-Buffalo%2C-The-/Detail.bok

It is a really good movie BTW.

ugo
11-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Ugo, I believe this is the movie you are asking about. http://stores.blowoutdvd1.com/-strse-117/White-Buffalo%2C-The-/Detail.bok

It is a really good movie BTW.

Thank you Laranger.
Even if I still have to buy this Movie in Italian. Is a true American masterpiece.

geolarson2
11-27-2008, 12:47 AM
It was gloomy today. Early this afternoon it started sprinkling; now its raining. The local weather says that it'll snow tonight, the only question left is just how low will the snow fall, at my elevation in the Truckee Meadows or just up in the Sierras. Personally, since I don't drive anymore, and I live in apartments so I don;t have to shovel it away, I could do with the snow even though I was planning on taking my younger relatives out for a nature walk tomorrow or Fri since school's out. Might still be possible ...

geolarson2
11-27-2008, 12:55 AM

The Indian was played by Will Sampson who also played the role of Chief in One Flew Over the Cuckoo Tree with Jack Nicholson, Christopher Lloyd, Danny DeVito, Brad Dourif and Louise Fletcher, and in The Outlaw Josey Wales with Clint Eastwood. He was a member of the Muscogee nation. I always like The White Buffalo--it was one of the 1st VHS tapes I bought way back when.

DWM222
12-14-2008, 04:04 PM
It appears winter has arrived along the Colorado Front Range...have about 6" of snow & still coming down & about 2 degrees...brrrrrr
Went out this morning & my little car was dragging bottom on some of the roads. Guess I'll have to get out the "Gas Hog" pickup for a while if I want to go cruising...LOL

shink1m
12-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Cold non-snowing Christmas weather here in the Philippines ^_^

Geezer
12-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Holy Crap! The wind here in San Jose CA on Christmas Day, is like a typhoon! It's bending trees over and pelting everything with rain drops. The power remains on but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes out in some parts of town if the wind continues.:eek:

Anoree
12-26-2008, 08:54 PM
It's dark outside, at 10:52 PM, and we've got -2 °C (28 °F).

MISSY
01-10-2009, 07:04 PM
We are stuck for the day up here in PA. expecting 8-10 in of snow. We drove for a little while but the roads were too bad. Here is a photo from the dash cam on the truck of a truck that jackknifed on a hill.

MISSY
01-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Marcy took this one with her camera out the window.

MISSY
01-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Nasty weather to drive in.

eastbill
01-10-2009, 10:30 PM
nasty looking weather

we got snow here too. hoping it does not get much worse.

mart
02-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Snow has just arrived in Kent:eek: and my car drives like a toboggan lol. I left my house at 7:30am and have already seen a car plough into a parked car but no real damage was done as he was crawling. Just a slight scrape down the side lol. So the mill is closed for awhile as the main workers can't get into work. Just amazed how the ice has formed already on the roads.

tigger
02-03-2009, 12:56 AM
yep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DWM222
02-03-2009, 01:19 AM
Mart...doesn't everyone in the UK have a SUV like us..LOL. Been reading about the mess over there, bummer man.

Tigger...Love the sign:)

laranger
02-03-2009, 01:30 AM
yep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tigger, is that where you are??

tigger
02-03-2009, 11:55 AM
tigger, is that where you are??
a friend sent me that piture!

CK1
02-03-2009, 12:21 PM
and i was complaining that its going to dip into the 30s at night here in florida.... i will keep my trap shut after seeing that pictures.

mart
02-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Nice sign Tigger but it's not the cold that's the problem. It's the bloody ice on the roads but at least i managed to get to work today. Average speed 20 mph once i got on the main road it nearly went up to 35 mph lol.:D

mart
02-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Mart...doesn't everyone in the UK have a SUV like us..LOL. Been reading about the mess over there, bummer man.

Tigger...Love the sign:)

At the moment my roads are pure ice can your SUV handle ice?.:D

DWM222
02-03-2009, 09:05 PM
At the moment my roads are pure ice can your SUV handle ice?.:D

Why sure...I keep my 4WD pickup loaded with my tools (carpenter) which helps with traction...& my AWD car hugs a slick road like it has claws LOL.
(They make pretty good cars in Sweden)
That coupled with the fact that I only go out on nice days helps. :)

Seth
02-03-2009, 09:59 PM
its started to snow in holland today too. and its bloody freezing!

tigger
02-03-2009, 11:48 PM
we just shut down in KY. It is snowing like crazy. I picked up a snow ball and hit my boss in the butt with it. well i dont think ill try that again. by the time she got done with me i had snow in places i rilly didnt want it. i didnt know she could run that fast. lol

DWM222
02-04-2009, 03:40 AM
Snow everywhere except here in Colorado. Gonna be in the 60's for a while...Sweet:)

laranger
02-04-2009, 04:27 AM
Snow everywhere except here in Colorado. Gonna be in the 60's for a while...Sweet:)

That's why we live here.

DWM222
02-04-2009, 03:43 PM
That's why we live here.

So true..I like it (most of the time)

mart
02-05-2009, 06:47 PM
30 minutes late for work this morning. All because the woman in front of me had her hazzards lights on and going around 10 mph. This was on the main road which wasn't too bad. I couldn't overtake due oncoming traffic cars behind tooting me. Well i was expecting her to pullover thinking there's something wrong with the car. But she carried on for about 2 miles so when we got to the lights. I quickly jumped out to ask her if she knew her hazzards were on. She said "Yes their on because it's snowing, my husband told me to put them on and to drive nice and slowly" at that point i had to restrain myself from laughing. So i adviced to her to keep the hazzards off and assured her it would be ok if she drives around 30 mph. What her husband must be like behind a wheel. I would rather not know.:D

geolarson2
03-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Cold & wet, with more cold & wet to follow for the next few days. On the plus side, at least I'm not living back east. I understand my grandparents who live in Upstate NY are snowed in. Still, we could use a little more snow here, as Tahoe is down quite a bit and the lake is filled solely by the snow-pack.

tigger
03-02-2009, 11:04 PM
I had quite a day due to the weather. got stuck in the motel parking lot, was able to get it out. almost got stuck at the whs. got down thru fredricsberg va. the roads were crap. got to richmond va. backed into the dock to deliver. and couldent get out a nother truck tryed to pull me out and he got stuck. called a wrecker. he pulled us bolth out. while he was pulling me out a kid in a 4x4 was out in the main parking lot horseing around jumping piles of snow and we her a crash, he had hit a 3ft high steel pole that was in one of the snow piles, riped the front axl right out from under his truck. jeromy got on the radio and said " here's your sign" we all got a giggle from that. oh what a day.

WhyYou
03-03-2009, 09:17 AM
We always have such weird weather here. It's been frigid the past few days and we've had some snow. Not a lot of snow but enough to cover the ground. It hasn't melted yet. Today it's supposed to be in the upper 40's. Tomorrow it's supposed to get as high as 64 F and 46 F at night. Thursday and Friday it's supposed to be in the mid 70's with nighttime temps in the high 40's. So it will seem like summer weather by the end of this week. Next week the forcast is for high 60's but I'm sure that will change. I wonder if we'll have a spring this year? LOL! :D

geolarson2
03-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Its the spring equinox today! As soon as just a couple weeks ago we got some snow here in the Truckee Meadows, not much and it burned off quickly, but still. And over the course of the past few days the windows and doors have been wide open airing the place out. I turned the furnace down days ago, although I hadn't heard a peep from it for a couple weeks (not since that last snow). Anyway, I took my Mom's puppy (standard chihuahua) out for a short walk, bugs are flying, birds are twittering (huh, I didn't even know they were computer savvy!), the grass is greening up, and I saw a couple little flowers (aka dandelions) emerging. Nice time of year, nice weather ...maybe that's why I couldn't sleep--too nice a day to waste? I can say this--the sunrise over the Huffaker Range was quite lovely. So, anyway, take a moment folks and stop and smell the roses because Spring's here!

Oh, nearly forgot to mention the small quake we had here the other day--small enough not to disturb me much (unlike the swarms we had last year this time--but that's what happens when you live on top of a magma chamber!)

Geezer
03-21-2009, 04:19 AM
I was out and about wearing a T-Shirt and shorts. First day of 2009 I felt comfortable wearing so little. Must be SPRING!:cool:

geolarson2
03-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Yesterday, all bright and sunny first day of spring. As Geezer said, short-wearing weather. Today, winter storm warning for the Tahoe area lasting through tomorrow. C'est la vie--is it cool to wear long johns under my shorts? jk:)

geolarson2
03-22-2009, 04:01 PM
And today we have snow on the ground ...much as I love the Sierra Nevada when they live up to their name ("snow-capped"), I was enjoying the warmth--now the furnace is back on, the windows shuttered (so to speak) and the doors all closed again. Oh, well, there's an old saying I remember from Colorado that goes something like, "if you don't like the weather now, close your eyes, count to ten, and check again." Nope, still 34F outside--maybe I'll try again tomorrow ;)

j.d.eeViant
03-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Thought this was about my local weather girl :D

anyway, its hot and sunny!

DWM222
03-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Blizzard day in Northern CO...Can't see the neighbors house but on the bright side...he can't see mine either:)

geolarson2
04-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Yesterday AM, I was doing the laundry in my shorts. Yesterday PM, clouds began rolling in & a chilly wind began to blow. This AM, snow. Now where did I put my warm clothes again? Rats!

tigger
04-04-2009, 01:02 AM
Yesterday AM, I was doing the laundry in my shorts. Yesterday PM, clouds began rolling in & a chilly wind began to blow. This AM, snow. Now where did I put my warm clothes again? Rats!

Just curl up with a photo of Danielle that will keep you warm for a bit! :p

geolarson2
04-04-2009, 03:46 AM
Just curl up with a photo of Danielle that will keep you warm for a bit! :p

rrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Who the heck left this whopping big cat in here? Now let me just get back and listen to the sweet sound Ms D's voice ...

BTW, its still cold out, but the snow melted off. Sucky as the weather was, the Sierra's look so gorgeous dressed up in white!

(PS: Ha ha fooled ya! There isn't really a cat here--it was me :D. Oh, you already knew ...harumph!)

FTVfanatic
04-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Actually the current weather is very nice, at least by Northern European standards.

Today, on the 19th of April it's partly cloudy and highs at 37 degrees Fahrenheit. I can smell spring in the air. :rolleyes:

Last night the low was at 23 degrees Fahrenheit.

The only place in the U.S.A. to experience a climate like this is in the State of Alaska.

geolarson2
04-19-2009, 02:19 PM
It snowed here on Easter, but was nice, warm & sunny here yesterday--left the window open last night, wearing shorts, grass is already green ('cept where the dogs pee). Lovely!

FTVfanatic
04-19-2009, 02:59 PM
...left the window open last night, wearing shorts, grass is already green ('cept where the dogs pee). Lovely!

Thanks for making my misery even worse!

Just kidding. We shall be at those warm temperatures in June and July. And what we lack in temperatures we gain in long duration of daylight. Close to Arctic Circle, It's light 24 hours a day on the June Solstice. :eek:

Currently the sun rises at 5.50 am and sets after 9 pm, so it's over 15 hours of daylight. And the duration of day gets longer at a rate of over 5 minutes a day...

And again, the only place in the U.S.A. to have a taste of the same (white night during summer) would be in Alaska. That's only due to latitudinal location.

Anoree
04-19-2009, 04:53 PM
It's been a lovely, sunny weekend here in Northern Germany.
We currently have sunshine and about 17 °C (62 °F) at 06:45 PM.

I'd say spring is in full blow here already.

geolarson2
04-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks for making my misery even worse!

Just kidding. We shall be at those warm temperatures in June and July. And what we lack in temperatures we gain in long duration of daylight. Close to Arctic Circle, It's light 24 hours a day on the June Solstice. :eek:

Currently the sun rises at 5.50 am and sets after 9 pm, so it's over 15 hours of daylight. And the duration of day gets longer at a rate of over 5 minutes a day...

And again, the only place in the U.S.A. to have a taste of the same (white night during summer) would be in Alaska. That's only due to latitudinal location.

Just wait ...when your temperatures are nice, mine will be between 100-110F. Then I'll be the envious one! lol ...sob:(

FTVfanatic
11-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Just wanted to rant a little:

Sunrise at 8:30 am, sunset at 4:00 pm. (Day will get shorter every day until 21th December.)

5 day weather forecast: Dreary and/or Cloudy every day (and has been for over a week now. The only way to remember what Sun looks like is to watch FTVGirls updates!)

Daily highs around 30-35 degrees Fahrenheit
Daily lows around 20-25 degrees Fahrenheit

And it will only be downhill from here to freezing cold January and February. I can't hardly wait for the spring to come. Well, It shall only take some 5 months to get the temperatures back up to 45-50 degrees Fahrenheit in April. Damn how I hate this Northern climate!

T-bone Thomas
11-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Just wanted to rant a little:

Sunrise at 8:30 am, sunset at 4:00 pm. (Day will get shorter every day until 21th December.)

5 day weather forecast: Dreary and/or Cloudy every day (and has been for over a week now. The only way to remember what Sun looks like is to watch FTVGirls updates!)

Daily highs around 30-35 degrees Fahrenheit
Daily lows around 20-25 degrees Fahrenheit

And it will only be downhill from here to freezing cold January and February. I can't hardly wait for the spring to come. Well, It shall only take some 5 months to get the temperatures back up to 45-50 degrees Fahrenheit in April. Damn how I hate this Northern climate!

20-35 Fahrenheit, that's -6 to +2 Celsius, brrrrrr, that's cold. Where do you live FTVfanatic? Near the arctic circle? lol. It's cold and rainy right now here where I live (Northern part of Bavaria / Germany) but I assume our winters aren't as cold and dark as yours. And because I don't like that climate just like you I will fly away to a warmer place in a few weeks. At least for a few days to heat me up, lol.
Keep your feet warm FTVfanatic!

TheDoctor
11-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Lima, with is location in the middle of the tropics and a cold sea stream in the sea by the side, has some crazy weather: yesterday it was sunny and 18 - 21º C nearly all day; right now (7:30 am) it is cloudy, cool but the clouds look luminous. Last thursday it was raining in the early morning, had cleared up a bit by 9 and had full sun on (20 -23ºC) from noon to 4ish. By sunset (2 1/2 hours later), it was windy and dry. The forecasters are nearly useless here; it is supposed to be mid-spring but we can as well get all four seasons in the same day. LOL.

FTVfanatic
11-09-2009, 06:46 PM
20-35 Fahrenheit, that's -6 to +2 Celsius, brrrrrr, that's cold. Where do you live FTVfanatic? Near the arctic circle? lol.

I live in Finland.

The Arctic Circle actually passes through Northern Finland, and that's only funny if you happen to like Arctic climate. I don't. Luckily I'm in the South Finland some 550 kilometres (or 350 miles) to the south from Arctic Circle. It doesn't help much, but I can always remind myself that things could be worse; I could actually live right on the Arctic Circle. That would be a total worst case scenario. :D

FTVfanatic
11-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Lima, with is location in the middle of the tropics and a cold sea stream in the sea by the side, has some crazy weather... The forecasters are nearly useless here; it is supposed to be mid-spring but we can as well get all four seasons in the same day. LOL.

Sounds interesting. You are talking about Lima (capital of Peru), right? It's in South America. (I admit, I had to google Lima)

I have never been anywhere close there. Would be interesting to visit South America for the culture, people and climate.

geolarson2
11-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Its chilly, but not so bad (61F right now). Its gotten below freezing at nights the past few weeks, and increasingly the skies are grey & cloudy (like today), and I am surprised we haven't had more than just 1 evening of wet snow that didn't stick here in the valley (the Sierra Nevada, the peaks here at least, look like their name says they should though: snow-capped).

TheDoctor
11-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Sounds interesting. You are talking about Lima (capital of Peru), right? It's in South America. (I admit, I had to google Lima)

I have never been anywhere close there. Would be interesting to visit South America for the culture, people and climate.

OK. Got yourself a guide around Lima. No, don't smile yet, I charge expensive.

geolarson2
12-07-2009, 01:20 AM
Its snowing here in the Truckee Meadows (that's Reno NV). Makes me happy--one thing I missed living in Northern California was the snow (now I admit I miss the rain & redwoods, not to mention milder temperatures). I don't drive anymore, so its no biggie for me--heck, all I need is for my crampons to arrive hopefully in a few days and I'm all set (Just hope they fit my mukluks!).

WhyYou
12-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Well, the Missouri kids are going to wake up to a white Christmas...at least in this area. This hasn't happened in the 7 years I have been living here. It's now 17 deg. (F) and I am feeling cold inside my apartment (of course, if it gets below 75 deg. I feel cold...lol). There is a blanket of new snow outside and we are under a Winter Storm Warning until 6 pm tonight. Winds are at 16 mph from the west. Wind chill is at 2 deg. I am bundled up in my hoodie with a sweatshirt underneath.

Dilbert49
12-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Just over 50 degrees (F) and rainy in north-central Kentucky. Ho Ho Ho!

Max
05-05-2010, 04:38 AM
For those of you wondering, I SURVIVED THE FLOOD!!! It was pretty bad. I was up to my waist in water.

tigger
05-06-2010, 11:07 PM
I just got the opertunity to ride along with the TN gaurd . we did a fly over of the navy center and i snaped a cupple picks. I brought a FEMA supply load in to a staging area just south of town, it is still bad.

Max
05-07-2010, 12:36 AM
I'm hoping now not to fail several classes, b/c I lost study time.

mart
05-07-2010, 12:54 PM
For those of you wondering, I SURVIVED THE FLOOD!!! It was pretty bad. I was up to my waist in water.

Glad to hear your ok Max, sorry to hear of the people who lost their lives.

Palanhaar
10-31-2010, 05:32 AM
Well here in India there are all kind of weathers,so you can enjoy any weather of your choice....!!Welcome to the land of Weathers and Nature!!Welcome to INDIA,dear ones!!

Index-of-Beauty Ben
10-31-2010, 02:33 PM
It just started to turn fall here in Illinois. Brisk mornings and nights. During the day, windy but nice - not too cool yet. It'll be coming though, the dreaded prairie wind chills and snow. I can feel it.

tigger
11-27-2010, 09:05 PM
This is what happens when it rains all day and freezes at night!

Anoree
11-27-2010, 09:52 PM
This is what happens when it rains all day and freezes at night!

I guess a simple ice scraper is not enough for that cover. :eek:

indyfan
12-02-2010, 08:05 AM
90 F degrees for me tomorrow.

Max
12-02-2010, 01:17 PM
90 F degrees for me tomorrow.
I wish it were that for me. I hate the cold, and honestly I'm ready for spring.

Anoree
12-19-2010, 01:04 PM
I guess our weather here in northern Germany can't be compared to Midwest US, but the last few days here were quite snowy for December.
We're more used to cold rain before Christmas and most of the time if there's any snow it's gone by Christmas Eve. This year it looks as if it stays and gets even more.

Just some pictures shot yesterday morning:

http://danielleftv.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=143&pictureid=1569

http://danielleftv.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=143&pictureid=1570

http://danielleftv.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=143&pictureid=1571

http://danielleftv.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=143&pictureid=1572

T-bone Thomas
12-19-2010, 06:24 PM
I live in the countryside as you can see. Snow covered roads aren't unusual here during winter. Here are some pictures I took the last few days.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Michael429/Winter%20impressions/Anlage3014.jpg

Does anyone know where the road is?

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Michael429/Winter%20impressions/Anlage3019.jpg

Winter at its best

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Michael429/Winter%20impressions/Anlage3009.jpg

This is the walkway in front of my house. The road is behind that snow wall on the right.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Michael429/Winter%20impressions/Anlage3032.jpg

Geezer
12-19-2010, 07:19 PM
T-Bone and Anoree - the snow is beautiful and I am glad YOU get it.:D California is getting one wet storm after another with possible flooding. Luckily, the Bay Area doesn't get snow. I had far too much of that white stuff while living in Ohio and Nebraska. You can have all you want of it.

Anoree
12-19-2010, 08:04 PM
Wow, THAT'S some heavy snow you've got there, T-bone.

Luckily we don't have to deal with those masses of snow here.

DWM222
12-20-2010, 01:25 AM
Wow, THAT'S some heavy snow you've got there, T-bone.

Luckily we don't have to deal with those masses of snow here.

What he said...:)

mart
12-22-2010, 09:01 PM
I like a white Christmas, but at times snow can be just too much. Good pictures T-bone!, well only if your really into snow lol.

TheDoctor
12-24-2010, 11:59 PM
SUMMER here on the Perú, unbearably hot & humid. And it's barely 77º.

mart
12-27-2010, 10:13 AM
SUMMER here on the Perú, unbearably hot & humid. And it's barely 77º.

Damn too hot for me!, i'd rather feel a little too cold than a little too hot.

WhyYou
01-10-2011, 01:57 AM
Local forecast for tonight and tomorrow is snow -- 3 to 4 inches total -- and bitter cold. Tomorrow night it's forecast to go below 0...YIKES!

TheDoctor
01-10-2011, 03:17 AM
Man, I WISH I could ever walk on snow!

mart
01-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Man, I WISH I could ever walk on snow!

Trust me after a long period of heavy snow, you'd never say that again Doc!.